Criehaven, Maine

Criehaven, Maine

It took Bruce Porter 40 years to build this house on Criehvaen island in Maine. He first visited the speck of land in 1971, bought a parcel, and then didn’t get serious about building until the 1990s. Lucky for him, by that time his daughter Alex had grown and become an architect and it was to her the challenge fell of design and construction on this remote site with no electricity.

As she writes, “This three-season retreat house is situated on the outermost inhabited island in Maine. The island has no roads, stores, electricity, water service, year-round inhabitants or ferry service – no grid. The house can store enough solar energy and rain water to power a refrigerator, lights, kitchen tap, outdoor shower and outlets for music or a laptop for as long as you’d like.”

Materials were brought to the island by Vietnam-era amphibious military vehicle and construction was done primarily by hand. The cabin has a composting toilet, 525-gallon cistern and propane stove. It’s 550 square feet and is protected from the elements by sliding aluminum shutters — recent winds there were recently clocked at 100 mph.

For more on the project, check out Alex Scott Porter Design.

Weekend Cabin isn’t necessarily about the weekend, or cabins. It’s about the longing for a sense of place, for shelter set in a landscape…for something that speaks to refuge and distance from the everyday. Nostalgic and wistful, it’s about how people create structure in ways to consider the earth and sky and their place in them. It’s not concerned with ownership or real estate, but what people build to fulfill their dreams of escape. The very time-shortened notion of “weekend” reminds that it’s a temporary respite.

Steve Casimiro is the editor of Adventure Journal.
  • Rob S.

Places like this make me want to cry with jealousy. I’d seriously just love to move out of my Junior 1 bedroom with my wife and Golden Retriever.

• Otis

Every Weekend Cabin post is amazing in its own way, but this one makes me ache for the NE coast.

• Ginny

Beautiful!!

• Sully

This weekend cabin posts are great. Please keep ’em coming!

• Peter

oh lord. this one makes me cry for summertime in maine. i want it

• mike

A dream come true. Most people just think about this stuff. She actually did it. Wow!

• Steve Waterman

I own the adjacent 14 acres bordering Bruce’s property and it is for sale. This will handle a full septic system and a real house, if one should require that. Ocean frontage on both sides, but it is too rough to land on the other side to the south. Contact me at 207 594 4000

Steve Waterman

• Daniel

Oh, my my I am in love with this house! I especially like the shutters that can be moved on and off the windows

• DLayne Carite

Th eplace is beautiful. My husband always talks about Criehaven Island….he loved going out there. We are now thinking of taking a trip to Criehaven next Summer.

• Pamela

Would love to rent the home, any thoughts?

• Ken Anderson

Island native. Born in Rockland in April of ’42 to Nick and Hattie Anderson of Criehaven.
    Lived there year round until time to go to school. Then summers until ’52, when my dad died and we had to move ashore. Great-grandfather and great-grandmother buried in the cemetary there. Our house burned, but Grandfather John’s still stands. It’s the little red one by the well.
    Many good memories, but an interrupted childhood, from punts, and dories, and peapods. The seagull is still my favorite, and mackeral. Enjoy your visit. There’s no other place like it! Magic!

• Peter Gallant

I have not been to the Island since we sword fished off shore and ran into Metinicus to hide from the weather. I found Ragged to be an exceptionally beautiful place. How can I get out there fro a couple of weeks this summer. Any rentals available that you know of? Possibly someone would like to swap for a couple of weeks in the most remote house in Ma. It is a sixty acre solar powered homestead in the middle of a State Forest Reserve. Thanks, Peter.