Didn’t See This Coming: Mountain Biker Tackled By Antelope

Didn’t See This Coming: Mountain Biker Tackled By Antelope

This takes “just riding along” to new extremes. Evan van der Spuy of Team Jeep South Africa was just…riding…along in a race at Albert Falls Dam in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, when he got blindsided by a red hartbeest. These large antelopes can weigh up to 330 pounds and stand almost five feet at the shoulders. Their top speed is around 40 mph…300 pounds at 40 mph, it’s no wonder van der Spuy’s helmet shattered and he ended up in the hospital, fortunately with nothing more than a stiff neck.

As for the hartbeest, it stood up, walked away, and was overheard telling his buddies, “I was just running along…”

Steve Casimiro is the editor of Adventure Journal.
  • Leon Shaner

Now, that’d be enough to ruin your day for sure! :-/

• Leon Shaner

Wow. It shredded his helmet!

• Scott Strong

Judging by the guttural noises he was making after the crash, I’d say he’s got a bit of a concussion. 300lbs traveling at 40mph directly into your head, helmet or not, will lead to a concussion. I really hope he had his head checked out more than his neck.

• Mary

Maybe better to ride bike wearing tattered old t-shirt and sweats – and go slower. Hope the dude is okay.

• TahoeSux

I know how he feels. Glad he walked away.

I was T-Boned by a deer on the road bike 18 months ago. Shattered clavicle with bone fragments throughout my shoulder (and 10 screws and a permanent metal plate), broken scapula, broken elbow, broken thumb, broken nose, knocked unconscious, stitches, etc.. Also destroyed a $5K bicycle, easily racked $100K in surgery and medical expenses (thank god for good insurance) plus 4.5 months off work. Bambi isn’t so cute anymore.

• steve casimiro

Dude. Yikes. Victim. So sorry to hear it.

• Clay

@ Tahoe- Mate! thats extreme. Hope you are well recovered and back on your bike. Maybe you have even taken up hunting now? Good luck.

• TahoeSux

Oh, I’m still out there doing it. Got back on the bike after 9 weeks (maybe that was dumb).

Still mountain biking, road biking, SUPing, xc skiing, snowboarding, etc. The physical injuries, gnarly scar, and occasional pain are easier to deal than the mental stuff. I fondly remember bombing descents on the road bike without a care in the world. Now I’m a little more cautious about hanging it out there. Funny thing is that it’s the fear of losing my job/career/house/nest egg that weighs on me- not the fear of injury.

Oh, did I mention that the deer hit me on a wide-open straightaway with no trees or turns (grass and chapparal) on a clear sunny day? The last words out of my mouth were, “Wow, look how beautiful the beach is!” It was truly a sh*t happens day…