Moments of Regret: When Your Plane Crashes

Moments of Regret: When Your Plane Crashes

ARVE Error: no video ID set

One moment you’re celebrating a birthday with your wife, mother in law, and young son on a beautiful winter sightseeing flight, the next your pilot is looking for a friendly field for an emergency landing thanks to an ice-choked carburetor. As they say, good luck with that.

The snowy field might have been conducive to a plane with skis, but in this case the softer snow simply sheared off the landing gear, sending the craft upside down. Nobody was hurt seriously in the crash, which makes watching the whole thing unfold on video a guiltless experience. But man…

Steve Casimiro is the editor of Adventure Journal.
  • Devon Sibole

Are you kidding me?!!?! They are so calm…

• Jen

Welp, That guy was a lot more calm than I’d be and if my mom was there she’d be screaming bloody murder the entire time. I love how the guy is apologizing to the pilot at the end! Wow.

• Steve-O

He should’ve set it down one of those gravel roads that were visible everywhere during the approach glide –or the two-lane blacktop, if no traffic was visible. Pilots with engine failure do this all the time. Then his tricycle landing gear wouldn’t have dug in, and he wouldn’t have flipped.

• Bill Becher

Carb heat!!

• circustrainer

• John Tannock

circustrainer February 11, 2013 at 22:01

” I would think planes would have some type of heating for the carb since it is such a critical thing not to have it freeze in flight.”

I’m very familiar with the Cessnas and while watching the video, noticed after the crash when the camera was pointing at the controls that the carb heat knob was not extended. While it is possible that the pilot did add carb heat and the knob was inadvertently pushed in during the crash, I doubt it since the throttle, which is in close proximity was still at idle. Part of the landing checklist of ALL single engine carburetor equipped Cessnas is to pull the carb heat knob fully out. I really don’t understand how this pilot could have not known that if he has a license. If he was still a student, he would not be able to carry passengers w/o a licensed pilot in the co-pilot seat. Bottom line, he never pulled it and ‘choked the carburetor venturi (throat) with ice therefore cutting off the fuel/air mixture to the cylinders. Fortunately no one was injured.

• William