Charting Adventure: A Guide to Our Fears

Charting Adventure: A Guide to Our Fears

adventure journal charting adventure a guide to our fearsAdventurous people are not by nature a fearful sort. But, you know, there are a few things that do give you us the willies. And here, with the might of science and statistical analysis behind it, is a guide to what scares you us.

aj logo 35

Brendan Leonard is a contributing editor to Adventure Journal. Follow him at his blog, Semi-Rad.
  • Jason

How did Mountain Lions not make the cut? Nothing worse than riding under a lonely ridge at dusk by yourself and imagining there’s a Mountain Lion behind every boulder.

• Jon

Serious. Bears are easy. Make noise, play dead, get big, slowly back away, hang food, ect. Cats… now cats will f your s up for no reason at all.

• Rodomontade

Hmm. Is this real? I’m surprised some variation of “people” isn’t on the list. The idea of guns on trails comes up often enough I’d expect a significant number of people are actually worried about getting raped/mugged/kidnapped by other humans.

• Mac

Well, Gapers made it!

• Lee

There is no way you should be more afraid of not having a good FB photo, than running out of beer.

• Paul

Excellent point…

• Steven Threndyle (@threndyleski)

Crashing and getting seriously f**d up so that the rest of your life is a total mess and can’t afford to pay my bills nor support my family. How can that not be number one?

• Nick

Way to add up to 100%! Still, this is a great info-graphic – for the missing 3% I’d add forgetting the TP or a wag-bag.

• RW

It’s venomous snakes and I second the vote for getting the runs in the backcountry and not having TP

• Krista

You guys must not have kids and be in on wipes. Graduate to wipes.

• Ibrahim Cetindemir

As a photographer my biggest fear is breaking any of my camera equipment. Or running out of toilet paper. Both had happened to me, not fun man, not fun.