NY Times Commenters Explain Why The Dawn Wall Climb Is Dumb

NY Times Commenters Explain Why The Dawn Wall Climb Is Dumb

adventure journal caldwell jordenson dawn wall

Since January 4, when the New York Times ran a story about Kevin Jorgeson and Tommy Caldwell’s Dawn Wall climb in Yosemite, commenters have lined up in droves to dump on the climbers’ attempt.

(See AJ’s coverage, Why Is Climbing the Dawn Wall Such a Big Deal?)

They demand to know who will pay for the rescue (the two men haven’t needed a rescue yet in their cumulative hundreds of days spent on El Cap, but in the event of a rescue, it will be paid for by Yosemite Search and Rescue, along with the other 250 rescues they perform each year, 60 percent of which are hikers), where they poop (in a tube that they carry up with them), why they’re allowed to put bolts in the rock (tip: you can’t see the tiny bolts from El Cap Meadow, calm down), and why they aren’t doing something “more useful” with their time (you mean like spending it on the ground, writing comments on internet stories?).

We collected some of the “best” and the most vitriolic, and deliver them to you here (all typographical errors are intellectual property of their respective authors):

FILED UNDER: THIS IS WHY WE CAN’T HAVE NICE THINGS

Art Lover:
“I don’t think that this activity is an appropriate use of a National Park.”

Hooey:
“It is disgraceful that they are harming million year old rocks. No one should be able to harm any rock over, say, 100,000 years old. Such rocks are the heritage of our children and their children. If we keep defacing all of the rocks, soon there will be none left.”

Hugh MacDonald:
“It’s a shame that the view of El Capitan will be marred for days by two people with nothing better to do than days’ worth (‘Worst case is mid-February.’ Seriously?) of ‘look at me’ moments. I hope the Park Service is charging them for this vanity project. P.S. If they fall, and the ropes catch them, do they go all the way back down and start over? I bet not.”

Scott Stark:
“Aren’t they defacing this wonderful treasure while climbing it?”

me not frugal:
“Not cool to be peeing off the side into the valley. Also really not cool to be defacing El Cap with bolts. That is no way to treat the treasure that is Yosemite. Furthermore, this is not technically a free limb, as they are secured with safety ropes.”

DeDe Greenberg:
“Although I am unsure if it is permanent it seems as if these and other climbers are free to damage the surfaces of the stone walls in America’s national parks in order to get their thrills and publicity.”

Tyrone:
“What gets left out of articles like these is:
1. The huge amount of damage to El Capitan by all of the anchors & pitons climbers use.
2. The huge cost to taxpayers every year from rescues of climbers & their medical care since few of them are insured.

“Gives new meaning to ‘1%’.”

FILED UNDER: PFFF, I COULD DO THAT

Patrick:
“Tom Cruise did something like this for that movie Mission Impossible, not sure if it was the I or the II, but he definitely made it look easy. I actually canceled my own trip to El Capitan after seeing that film, and instead went bow hunting for lion in Kenya. Maybe this year I’ll give it the old spin.”

piet hein:
“Yeah, sail a 32 footer basically single handed from BDA through the Steam to Newport, lets talk, you’re on your own for 650 miles. La Di Da”

FILED UNDER: NOT IMPRESSED

Steve:
“Breaking down individual pitches on a big wall climb is to treat El Cap like a local crag or large rock gym. If you can’t do the climb as one continuous route, put off doing it until you get good enough. Siege mentality is always regarded as bad form. This type of climbing would be laughed off the Diamond.”

Mac Zon:
“Climbing with a safety rope diminishes the danger, and minimizes the suspense of the whole mission. Without a rope, there is no margin of error to overcome the impossible.”

Ray NYC:
“They have supplies delivered to them!? That’s like climbing with a porter. Not legit.”

SteveRR:
“And most importantly…Would they actually have done the deed if they were not endlessly tweeting and posting selfies. Somewhere Tenzing Norgay weeps.”

not surprised:
“I’ll be impressed when someone free solos this route, or when someone free climbs it without having to call the media to say ‘Hey! Look at me!'”

AE:
“Impressive, but nowhere near as impressive as actually free solo climbing without any ropes, where one slip would mean certain death. Watch the video of the late Dan Osman ascending Lovers Leap on YouTube for comparison. The only serious risk here is failure, which is no big deal.”

Alan
“Sorry, but who really cares? Do something that genuinely makes a difference in the world. This is just the latest non-event. Yawnnnnnnn…”

Larry Hoffman
“Everytime I think I”ve heard of the most stupid stunt in the world, some other genius come’s up with a stunt like this. Oh wait, I remember, ‘I did it because it was there!’ I hope their families have paid the life insurance premiums.”

FILED UNDER: BUT WAIT, THIS MUST BE COSTING TAXPAYERS MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

John Moore:
“How much does the Park charge for this nonsense? It better be a lot.”

Tony P La:
“How are they allowed to deface the wall of El Capitan w/bolts and such? Are they paying a fee to Yosemite National Park to be able to do this stunt?”

Neale:
“I would appreciate NYT doing an analysis of how such undertakings affect the average tax payer.”

Adameyeball:
“These two are an argument against Universal Health Care….or health Insurance period. Without a doubt one day they will get injured and ask the other insured to pay for them. This happens in extreme sports all the time. Everyone questions football yet the Times did an article on the amount of injured by extreme sports,4 million injured in a 10 year span with a 100 thousand being debilitating or in death. That study ws a ten year span ending in 2011 so with more people participating you know the number has likely grown since it was concluded.

Yes this takes tremendous courage, or stupidity. Giving it press will only encourage copycats and injury. I don’t know why I/We have to pay for this, do you?”

Air Marshal of Bloviana:
“And when they fall (they do on occasion), what collective pays for the recovery, the taxpayers. Might as well add the Dawn Wall onto the contract with assets that the current concessionaire has already included for sale. Let El Capitan pay for itself!”

Peter C:
“While greatly admiring the athleticism I wonder about another aspect. Having visited Yosemite many times and seen Rangers, medical helicopters and other park resources used to aid climbers, I wonder what -if any- user fees these guys pay to climb on public lands.”

FILED UNDER: I KNOW WHAT FREE CLIMBING IS, AND THIS ISN’T IT

NeverLift:
“Let’s be clear: True free climbing means no — as in not a bit of — mechanical assistance. So long as you have the safety harness to catch you as you fall, so long as you have facilities for food and rest, so long as you can avoid the danger of failure: It is a stunt. Or, at best, a demonstration that a true free climb can be achieved, if you are above the need for relief and nourishment. They are not.

“Alex Honnold truly free climbed Sentinel.”

Oh:
“I do not climb. Just watching makes me ill with fear. Then there are those who react the same way to my going 170 MPH in competitive ‘traffic’. À chacun son goÃt.”

AJB:
“Climbers’ jargon aside, this hardly seems like ‘free climbing’ with bolts, porta-ledges and helpers bringing bags of food. If this face of El Capitan can’t be climbed with only ropes for safety, why not just leave it alone?”

Don Peterson
“This will of course be an amazing achievement, but they are obviously climbing with ropes, not free climbing.”

twefthfret
“So much equipment. Who are they kidding!? No hope without the rope.”

FILED UNDER: LISTEN UP WHILE I TELL YOU WHY THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME

PA:
“I hope they visit the Himalayas this year, and clean up the base camp an trail for us.”

Robert Frodeman:
“Strikes me as a dumb way to spend one’s time. Dangerous, and for what purpose? A thrill. One should devote such considerable energies to something more constructive.”

AmateurHistorian:
“I wish them good luck, safe and success but I really fail to see the point. In the early days it was exploring and charting the unknown and it was very dangerous and exciting. You’d never know who would come back from exploring the Congo, artic, underwater cave. Being able to practice years on a cliff thousands already climbed doesn’t feel as exciting to me.”

Laura Hunt:
“I see stupid stunts like this time and time again and I continue to ask why?Pure ego, it accomplishes absolutely nothing and puts your life at risk, till someonw has to rescue you. Dumb.”

PeterH
“If they fall, what would they have achieved? A whole load of pain carried by their loved ones. Pointless.”

Ed Burke
“I doubt God will welcome such people if they die doing such life threatening foolhardy escapades. Life is precious, and a gift from God meant to be used for better things and not risked for a thrill. This isn’t like scientific exploration expanding the knowledge of God’s creation. This is simply foolish and irresponsible. There is nothing to be gained in such foolhardy adventures.”

Photo courtesy Tommy Caldwell

aj logo 35

Brendan Leonard is a contributing editor to Adventure Journal. Follow him at his blog, Semi-Rad.
Recommended Posts
  • Craig Rowe

The agony.

I won’t confirm it, but I have to wonder if the Drudge Report linked to this Times piece. Few sites attract the heathens to a story’s comment panel better than it does.

• Rocky

No, Craig, as painful as it may seem, these ARE the people who read the NYT…. can’t blame everything on the right wing ~ ignorance is a free and shared commodity.

• Cody L Custis

Most of the comments, as ranked by reader’s picks, are quite positive about the climb. There’s only one non-positive comment (about a reader who’d rather play the piano) ranked in the top ten.

• Robin

Kooks.

• Colby

The comments are hilarious. Those people have no idea. I laughed at the people who were certain it wasn’t a free climb, and the guy who played the defacing rock card, but probably has visited and supported Mt. Rushmore, used a paved road to go see El Cap, and probably doesn’t picket farmers for changing their land into useable spaces for food growth. Ha! I love the sailor who is so bold, who likely wouldn’t get along with the person who whines about peeing in open spaces since he may have relieved himself in the ocean a time or two. I love the insurance argument, two insanely fit people (who also happen to be able to afford their medical risks) are the concern, not the jobless, smoking, drug using, person who has more kids than they can afford and constantly tax our system getting care. Certainly Obama was thinking, “we gotta take care of rock climbers…” when healthcare reform to center stage. If these people were around to comment on such things as Westward Expansion, development of the railroad, and roads, I bet they would find a way to whine about that too! “It’s not true exploration, they’re using maps after all.”

• Greg Petliski

All those people are sponsored by Haterade.

• John McMurtry

It is not free climbing. It is a type of “aid” rock climbing. We all would like a “do over”. Especially dead “free” rock climbers.

• Will Bo

I don’t think you understand what free climbing is- aid climbing would be using ascenders or slings to get past particularly dangerous or challenging spots- what they did is free climb, ascend each pitch from belay point to belay point using just strictly their hands an d feet and rope. Unless of course, you’re talking about free soloing, which would be no rope

• ralph anthony heath

Unfortunately your understanding of the definition of free and aid climbing is a little incorrect. There are two families of climbing: Aid and Free. Aid climbing allows any means to ascend the route. There are generally two styles of Aid climbing: you deliberately set off intending to Aid your way up a route. And you unintentionally get to a point where it is too difficult to free it, and as a last resort Aid a section. Free climbing by definition allows only the human body to provide momentum: hands and feet, back, elbows, head, knees and hips to ascend the route. Therefore no pulling on gear used for protection. There are generally 7 styles of Free climbing: Bouldering, Sport, Traditional (what Jorgeson and Caldwell complied with), and Soloing. Both aid and free climbing assume the climber will utilize safety equipment for protection during the passage of that route. Therefore by definition Aid climbing allows you to pull directly on that safety gear, whereas Free climbing strictly prohibits this. The dead “free” climbers you speak of, if not using ropes, were a special niche of climbers called Free Soloists. Most forms of rock climbing are relatively safe, though harder Aid climbing is definitely much riskier than most Free climbing. However, Free Soloing is the most risky, simply due to having no safety gear at all. I hope this gives some clarity between the nuances

• Dan Murphy

Too funny, thanks for picking out the best

• Greg Petliski

Nobody even uses pitons anymore! Most climbers today are pretty good at practicing Leave No Trace ethics. The same way hunters want animals around to shoot, climbers want rocks around to climb, so they tend to take care of them.

• Norman MacLeod

People most definitely still use pitons today, maybe not on trade routes but try climbing Sunkist or the Shield Headwall without pitons…

• Cissa

Jesus Mary Joseph! Are these people for real? Are these people REAL? Sounds like a collective joke. Maybe we´re being trolled… hmmm…

• Sean

Think of the children!

• Steven

These commentators has given us our own Adventury Report to enjoy this week

• Jim M

Ignorance is an amazingly dreadful thing. This is like rec.climbing gone mainstream 🙂

And while we’re at it, I can see the valley road from the top of the Captain; let’s tear that m-f’er out.

• Mr Ed

I would like to post something intelligent here but those comments lowered my IQ simply by reading them

• AK

Only if one has done such an activity will one EVER be able to understand or intelligently comment.

• Nick

Steve:

LOL
    Do you think Steve is talking about the Diamond on Long’s Peak, where Tommy Caldwell has pioneered the hardest routes? …Not to mention rescuing other climbers while doing it.

• Casey

LOL, the irony is just too thick.

That’s the only thing I don’t like about the climbing community, all the stupid bravado.

CLIMB AND SHUT UP.

• James

Thumbs up for intelligence!

• CN

Ah humanity. It’s these little windows into the absurdity of the masses that makes me worry for the future. And…damn those pitons!!!

• Mike

This sums up some folks impressions of Yosemite….

• Tyler

I like the ones under “we know what free climbing is and this isn’t it” because this *is* free climbing. Climbing without ropes or protection is called free *soloing*, not free *climbing*.

• James

I am speechless, from the Kanye fans not knowing who Paul Mccartney is, to these absolute idiots who are not only unimpressed with this climb and the responsibility of these athletes, but criticizing them for simply “being”, How about everyone check their own carbon footprint and overall irresponsibility before they chastise these two guys for whatever illogical conclusions are assumed. It’s their life and there are obviously quite a few people out there that are happily supportive, including myself. I’d like to see any of these self righteous yuppies even attempt to hike the other side of half dome. This is quite disheartening to see these comments. I laugh at the person who is so deeply concerned about their bodily functions, that they would rather them not at all. Pee is deadly you know, and they are some pretty big wimps for using a rope.

• David LeWinter

When asked; ” Why print the New York Times” they said ” Because its there” No one is expected to understand the desire of these two great athletes, and surely the money incurred for a potential rescue is really no ones concern, I’m sure Tommy Caldwells taxes went to bail out wall streets 2008 disaster. So lets just call it even and pipe down over there!!!!

• Rocky

Lol! Right on….

• Matt carter

And to think, these people breed! Hurting the gene pool, hurting the gene pool. Lol

• Katie

Professional climber Alex Honnald has already free soloed el cap so there’s that. He free soloed 3 of the biggest faces in Yosemite. Not that impressed by these guys… Lol

• Casey

If you think Honnold could free solo the Dawn Wall you’re out of your mind. There’s a reason they’re getting so much publicity.

• Katie is dumb

Lol you didn’t even spell his name right. And he is even quote in the NYT article as saying that he’s never soloed anything this hard.

• Chris W

As impressive as what Honnold does is, not only has he never free-soloed anything this hard, he’s never climbed anything this hard at all.

Sharma and Ondra have climbed 5.15c single pitches, Caldwell and Jorgeson are attempting this big wall that has multiple pitches in the 5.14 range, and Honnold free-solos big walls in the 5.12 to low 5.13 range.

All extremely impressive, but vastly different types of routes.

• Casey

Not to mention people like Dan Woods who are out there crushing V15

• Colby

Katie, nobody cares if you’re not impressed. These guys are pushing their own limits as well as our sport’s limits, they’re not trying to impress anyone.

• Karl

It could also be that no one cares if no one cares if Katie is not impressed.

Furthermore, no one is really in a position to know what everyone in the world is caring about at any given time, so it is a rather pointless comment, like this one.

Sooner or later the world will collectively figure out how completely pointless comment sections are, and do away with them completely. I’m hoping to get there one day myself.

But for now, here I am, trying to impress you, a prisoner of my own ego. Like you.

The guy who said “Shut up and climb” had it right I think. But again, probably no one is impressed by this thought on my part, which may or may not be a reason to not post it.

Holy futility Batman.

I vote we all go outside and play now.

• Colby

Hahah, I might be many things, but a prisoner of my ego is something I diligently try to avoid (we aren’t all perfect though are we Karl). Thanks for making me check myself however. It just struck me as odd that Katie (and many other people it seems) overlook to slim possibility that “to impress” may not be Tommy and Kevin’s motivation and felt the need to expose that possible viewpoint . Please forgive my egotistical effort to broaden the perspective.

• ralph anthony heath

Karl that was awesome! Probably the best post I’ve ever read. Thanks

• Karl

Thanks for that. When the website decides to delete all these comments, it will be the sound of one hand clapping.

• Matt

Alex Honnold is somewhere between “incredible athlete” and “freak of nature.”

Yes, he free-soloed the triple (Mount Watkins, El Capitan and Half Dome) but come on, there’s really only one Alex Honnold and then there’s everyone else. What these guys are doing is amazing in its own right simply because no one (currently and probably historically) compares to Honnold.

• Casey

He still couldn’t solo this route. Honnold is a bad dude but he wouldn’t attempt the Dawn Wall without protection. Most of what he solos is in the 5.12 range. Not even Honnold could solo sustained 5.14.

• Norman MacLeod

Alex didn’t free-solo the all of Watkins or the Nose, it was a mix of free-soloing and aid-soloing the harder bits

• Scott

I’m not a climber (too damn old and ledges these days make my butt quiver), but my son, who lives in Mammoth, is and I’ve been following this climb with great interest from my lawyerin desk here in the Wisco. It’s always fun to read comments like these until one realizes that these geniuses apparently are real humans whose head’s purportedly contain brains. This is an unsettling thought, but one sees it all of the time. These folks need to stand at the base of the Captain to fully appreciate the skill, strength, courage and overall athletic ability involved in this undertaking. One wonders if any of them have ever visited any of our National Parks. Side story: had a client who took his family to San Fran last summer; said they were going to visit Yosemite, but heard that the falls were not flowing due to the drought so they decided not to make the trip as they figured there wasn’t much else to see!! Took all of my years of training to not to bellow “are you f….ing kidding me”. True story. God help us!

• Seth

To be fair, the argument over the damage that bolts do to rock is legit. There is a reason many state and national parks don’t allow bolting. I love climbing but understand the concern about perm anchors.

• Colby

The amount of rock harmed by all the bolts in the world can’t touch even the nose of one president on Mt. Rushmore. Arguing that bolts harming rock is like arguing that windshield washer fluid is hard on glass. Seth, I hope you can cope with the guilt of driving a car on roads that harmed the land on which they were created. For a more clear view of the policy to which you speak, see this article on the National Park Service ALLOWING bolts.

• Sam

Wow Colby, I really hope you are trolling, because, otherwise, you are probably the worst simile maker in history. Regardless of whether rocks are being degraded, you are implying with your car on the road and windshield wiper analogies, that mountains were made to be rock climbed on, that this is their purpose. I’m not a geologist, and I won’t bring up religion, but saying mountains were created so that bolts could be shoved into them, that seems a little far fetched. Not to be a Grammar/Analogy Nazi, but come on, form a better arguement..

• Todd

Bolt marks on the wall? What about all the buildings, their counter tops which are comprised of granite. What about the gas they using through drilling and causing bad omissions. They won’t give up those things

The one word that best describes these people is Jealousy.

• Pieter

Hah! Funny seeing all those comments re-presented here!

As I am a NYT subscriber, I’ve been waging a mighty battle with many of those folks, in that and the other comments threads.

It’s terrible, terrible work, but someone’s gotta do it. Taking one for the team, as it were. Don Quixote would be proud.

• chris mc

These are amusing posts. How do these people think these overhanging rock faces get made? They are made by collapse of enormous amounts of other rock faces that litter crumbled tallas slopes below. I have been on long climbs around the world and watched enormous volumes of pristine rock cascade down the faces, much to my horror, while climbing. Yosemite will not exist in the same shape it is in the future, that is the nature of mountains, they change, and humans with their finite lives think they always exist as they stand. lol

• Robbie

You learn something new everyday, if you’re using a rope, you ain’t FREE LIMBING!

• Shawn

A comment board for a comment board!!? Oh man, worst nightmare right here…

• Jared McCoy

Free climbing is the use of your body to climb up a rock face, while attached to ropes for safety. FREE SOLOING is using your body to climb up a rock face WITH OUT ROPES. I’m 16 and know more about climbing than half you geniuses.

• Drew H

What if we took out all of the roads in yosimite and let the public truly enjoy nature?

• Kyle

Those two are having such a blast up there and they have inspired me to go pull on plastic – maybe this weekend if the kiddos are feeling better. Nevertheless…they inspire me. V7 is going down.

• Karl Baba

ironically, I bet none of these commenters would criticize the best players of the NFL, who are far more likely to suffer permanent injury from their participation in sports.

• Jordan

I would thoroughly enjoy all of the out of shape visitors’ reactions if the roads were removed and they had to hike in to earn those majestic views! Just thinking of it brings an enormous smile to my face. They’d probably stop coming because of the inherent risks that hiking has on the universal healthcare system……..

• Andy

Well, this article and comments aren’t exactly moving the needle on the condescension and elitism by which the rest of the world knows climbers. You could at least address the questions, if the answers are so simple…

• Jordan

The world finds climbers and outdoor enthusiasts elitist in my experience because we take the time to get to know the land we use. We clean up after ourselves and are thought to be snobbish when we tell others to pick up the trash they leave on trails and by cliffs. Perhaps it comes across as condescending, but for those of us engaged in this type of pursuit the rock is part of our life blood so its upkeep is paramount. Most of the comments have involved a rather condescending attitude directed toward the outdoor community, insinuating that we are not aware of the danger we pose to rock walls that will be there through the millennia in one shape or another. Some have gone so far as to say that the cost to the taxpayer makes such an undertaking foolish. Thee same people sit at desks all day and tell people how to live their lives while their blood pressure and risk of heart disease creeps ever upward. In the end those people will cost the taxpayer much more in frequent doctors visits and medication premiums than healthy climbers like the two being discussed in this article. We take amazing care of our cliffs through groups like the access fund and various climber’s coalitions. Come out and spend a day climbing and I think the misconceptions that some hold will be apparent.

• Kate

I had to add this, as this article has stuck with me the last week, different state but you know, when people want to claim what a drain climbers are on OMGTAXPAYER DOLLARS. I’ll just leave this here:

Of the outdoor spending, about $12.5 billion in direct sales circulated through the local economy, which in turn produced an additional $8 billion in economic contributions to the state.

Out-of-state visitors account for 27 percent of dollars spent.

The study says nearly 200,000 jobs are supported by money spent on outdoor recreation. It says these markets play an important role in moving money from urban to rural areas and creating jobs in those rural areas.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/01/08/3577805_outdoor-recreation-in-state-yields.html?sp=%2F99%2F296%2F&rh=1#storylink=cpy

• R. Hamilton

These two men, that somehow got permission to climb El Capitan, should not be praised. Let them climb man made structures and leave alone what took nature millions of years to make. The people that permitted this circus stunt should be identified and held accountable. R. Hamilton, Chicago

• Colby

R. Hamilton, It took nature millions of years to make the land your residence rests upon, and the land covered by the roads you drive on. Nature made many many things that are now covered by man made things, take your hypocritical comments and send them to your land lord see if he’ll demolish all of his properties then restore the land to its original state of being. Next go exist somewhere you don’t have any impact on nature, or what once was nature before you made a home there. Or wait, are you one of those people who floats around our world causing zero impact?! Cool! I have yet to meet one of your kind! Maybe you can float over sometime for coffee, wait drinking coffee means you endorsed farming, which clearly has an impact on land nature created, dang we can skip coffee and just talk. Anyway, I bet that is awesome to know that you have never harmed any part of anything nature created. Also, for your nature killer log book, the harm done to this rock by these two men during this ascent is comparable to something like the amount of harm done by one drop of scalding hot water into a gallon of room temperature water.

• John

Colby, I think R. Hamilton is just jealous that his NYT comment didn’t appear in the Adventure Journal’s list of worst NYT comments! Either that, or like a certain North Korean leader is reported to, Mr. Hamilton doesn’t poo!

• Kyle

What Kevin and Tommy did isn’t all that different from Lewis and Clark who were commissioned to explore and map the territory that you and I call home. No? I mean both parties explored new territory, tried to find a route…some differences, but not too much. Yes I know that humans will not live on El Cap, HA! But is it an unreasonable comparison? It’s about exploring what’s there when you ask yourself “is it possible? What about North and South pole expeditions? Trekking the Amazon River or crossing the Sahara? What about early explores looking for new trade routes? I’m sure somebody will argue but humans explore and we’ll keep exploring. Anyway, to help you understand, climbers do not necessarily need permission to climb the big walls or boulders in Yosemite. When I say “necessarily” I mean, maybe there is a place you’d need it but I’m not sure. There are no “people” that permit it and there will be no one to hold accountable. Sorry this “stunt” makes you so angry sir, perhaps you should try some of your own exploring. Regards.

• Ric

I love climbing, skating, diving, walking, cycling, even having beers with my friends…

And between beers I had to explain to them the meaning of lots of things related to climbing and The Dawn Wall Climb, but finally they agree it was awesome, and yes we visited like 5 years ago Yosemite, incredible place, we enjoyed Mariposa Grove, Merced River, Glacier Point, Tioga Pass, El Capitan, Half Dome.

And we aren’t americans, but in our holidays we travel far away to see your National Parks, we spent weeks visiting San Francisco, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Los Angeles, Lake Tahoe, Joshua Tree Dessert, Mono Lake, Napa, Sausalito, Hoover Dam… We even got hot dogs at Pink’s and ate them in Griffith Observatory… It was really awesome…

For me is funny many americans doesn’t understand and complain about The Dawn Wall Climb without even trying to understand climbing. I don’t understand NFL or MLB but I would enjoy watching a game in real time, surrounded by thousands of people. Why? Because I never watched one, and arguing without my own point of view isn’t possible.

And the impression and memories I got after visiting the West coast of USA believe me, will last forever.